Monday, January 7, 2008

Only 3 months late on reporting this...

Last October (Saturday October 6, 2007 to be exact), Al and I competed in the Longhorn Triathlon. We had to swim 0.5 of a mile, bike 12 miles, and run 3.1 miles with minimal rest time in between. So, here it is.

First, we arrived at the crack of dawn to register, get marked, and rack our bikes. After a brief pre-race meeting at 7:15 am, everyone headed over to where the swim would begin.



We were totally feeling the pre-race jitters. Lots of nervous energy. Then they started the swimming waves (since we were first-timers, my wave was second-to-last; Al's wave was last). Check out the scene when the Olympic distance competitors hit the water (swim 0.9 mile, bike 25, run 6.2).



Here we are waiting for our wave.



(Left to right) Me, Al, Steven (friend of Al's), Shannon (friend/co-worker of Al who will be a bridesmaid), and Shannon's father




Shannon and Allison about to enter the water



So we did our swim, biked the biking portion (who says Texas is flat? Our course sure wasn't...), and somehow finished the run. It was exhausting, exhilerating, and exciting all at the same time. Here I am finishing the competition.




WE ARE TOTALLY HOOKED ON TRIATHLONS (at least I am). The next season starts in March, so I'm already looking forward to it. Stay tuned for more of these in the next several months...

3 comments:

chickadee3357 said...

Awesome!! I love the pictures. Looks like so much fun...probably because I'm not doing it!

Holly said...

I have a goal of doing the Iron Man. Do you guys want to do it with me??? Of course it won't be for many years now that I'm in school.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! Sounds very exciting. Wish I could train for something like that. I agree, it would be fun!